We see new trends pop up all the time, even in the blog world, but are those trends worth following? This week, Erin & I are calling out some of the more recent trends in blogging and giving you the honest truth behind them.
- Not all trends are worth following, so do your own research before following the herd.
- TREND #1: Replacing the headshot on your blog with only your logo.
- Put a headshot on your blog, and make it professional. a logo alone isn’t good enough.
- Update your header image & profile any time you have something to promote, and add a description with links & calls-to-action
- TREND #2: You can only make money blogging if you talk about blogging.
- Don’t start a blog to make money. And don’t blog about something you’re not passionate about just because you think you’ll be successful.
- TREND #3: You have to create a product to make money.
- There are plenty of bloggers who make money without ever selling a thing. Stay true to you, and honor your audience.
- TREND #4: You’re brand new but start coaching or teaching immediately.
- You have to earn trust and get used to blogging before you can teach others how to do the same.
- When you are looking for help with something, be sure to do your research. There aren’t really any certifications in blogging, so just make sure the person you’re hiring checks out.
- TREND #5: You feel like it’s necessary to share your income reports.
- You’re not inspiring anyone. You’re bragging. Stop it.
- You CAN talk about money if you have an accountability group and everyone agrees to share their income.
- You CAN talk about money if you share something people will learn from. Instead of saying you made $X, say that X% came from affiliate income, etc. Tell me HOW you made money, not HOW MUCH you made.
- TREND #6: Your business is just a numbers game.
- Your value is not in pageviews or stats. Your engagement is more important than pageviews & stats.
- TREND #7: You start a blog without knowing what you want to write about.
- Blog your story, your passion, your background, and your expertise.
- Ask your friends and family, NOT a group of strangers in a Facebook group!
WOOT! Grab your copy of
and do epic stuff with your blog!