Everybody wants to make money, right? But blogging is not a get rich quick scheme. Erin and I talk about how to monetize your blog appropriately and intentionally, and we share what NOT to do. We talk about affiliates, ads and ad networks, and how to get started and rock sponsored posts.
- Blogging is NOT a get-rich-quick scheme, it’s a “Get average results in due time” thing.
- To get started, sign up as an Amazon affiliate or an affiliate for other brands. You won’t earn huge money, especially until you grow your blog, but you will earn a tiny bit here and there.
- Your affiliate disclosure has to be IN CLOSE PROXIMITY of your affiliate link. Basically, if you can see the disclosure and the link without scrolling, you’re good to go.
- NOTE: You cannot use Amazon affiliate links in an email. This includes RSS feed emails.
- When using ads, just like everything else, use them in moderation. As a reader, ads have a tendency to disrupt the reader experience. Also, keep mobile in mind. More than 50% of readers are reading posts on mobile devices, so make sure that your ads are mobile-friendly.
- Look at your blog from a reader perspective, or get one of your friends to look at your blog, and get some honest feedback.
- When you put ads on your sidebar, you can actually create your own sidebar ads that link to your affiliate links.
- When working with brands, be sure to make it feel authentic, and weave a story into your sponsored posts.
- To get started, do “faux” sponsored posts where you write a post about a product as if you were given money, then share it with the brand. These can actually go on your media kit.
- You can then move on to blog networks like Social Fabric, Tap Influence, Clever, etc. to get partnered with brands. They help you get used to formatting sponsored posts.
- Don’t be so proud that you refuse to work with a brand for product alone. Sometimes, that’s the best way to get your foot in the door.
- If you don’t talk about a product for free, don’t talk about it for money.
- Create your own products to sell. If you create an ebook, pull a good chunk of content from your blog but add new stuff, too, to make it special.
WOOT! Grab your copy of
and do epic stuff with your blog!