Email is my jam, and it’s one of the few things in blogging that you can control. Erin & I talk about how you can improve your email game so you don’t suck at email, and all of our tips are based on personal experience. Don’t suck at email!
*This post contains affiliate links.
- You need an email list from Day 1. You have no control over social media or Pinterest, but you have ownership & control over your email list.
- Use sign-up forms to allow people to opt into your list on their own.
- Treat your list like your VIPs. Give them things first, share discounts and exclusive offers, and first glances at big projects.
- When writing your emails, they should be written as if you’re writing to one person so it’s more personal and real.
- Emails should show the before, the mess, the ugly & transparent.
- Don’t hardcore sell without giving people the ability to opt out of sales emails. People should be able to opt out of sales emails but remain on your email list. (Link triggers in ConvertKit* do that!)
- Don’t disappear from your reader’s inboxes for a while, then show up only to sell something. This diminishes the value of email and makes people hate it.
- Your goal should be to nurture relationships. Send valuable content consistently.
- Map out your email content using an editorial calendar, just like you do with blog posts.
- DO NOT send emails without your mailing address in them. YES you have to have a mailing address, NO it cannot be your city and state. Get a P.O. Box if you’re not comfortable using your home address. IT’S A VIOLATION OF CAN-SPAM.
- Don’t use sleazy click bait as your email subject lines. Your subject lines should be attention-grabbing but speak to the content of your email.
- FUN FACT: When subject lines are 61-70 characters long, they tend to get read. However, most email subject lines are between 41 and 50 characters. (source)
- Blog Fuel Ep. 004 – 10 Ways to Improve Your Email Marketing Strategy
- Blog Fuel Ep. 012 – Email Marketing With Convertkit
- CoSchedule’s Headline Analyzer
WOOT! Grab your copy of
and do epic stuff with your blog!