Creatives who set up a shop online have some work ahead of them, and it’s not just creating the inventory! Erin dishes on how to set up shop, and talks about pricing, taxes (YIKES!), marketing, and so much more in this week’s episode!
- This week’s news stories:
- With the advent of the internet, it is now possible for pretty much anyone to be in business with an online store. However, there are certain things you can do to ensure success.
- Before setting up a shop online, you should start by defining your product niche. Don’t try to sell ALL THE THINGS. Know what you’re good at so you don’t look like an online flea market.
- If you rely on Etsy to do your marketing for you, you’ll get lost in the noise. Etsy follows SEO but also a relevance algorithm, so it’s important to keep your shop updated.
- Don’t take a photo with your cell phone and put a product photo in a shop that’s not set up yet.
- Set up your brand identity – your shop banner, logo, about section, etc.
- Make sure you take the time to cover yourself by creating your shop policies that dictate shipping, return policy, custom orders, etc.
- Use social media to build a buzz around your shop, and build anticipation for new products. Be sure you’re sharing a new photo each time, though, not the same one product photo on repeat. Creative Carmella is the perfect example of someone who does this well.
- Know who your target audience is so you can market effectively and price accordingly. Know your worth, but also be willing to be flexible.
- Packaging is important, because you need to create an experience for the buyer. Add a hand-written thank you note.
- PRO TIP: Do not use fine glitter in your packaging. It just pisses off your buyer.
- With all the platforms – Etsy, Storenvy, Shopify, etc. – no one platform is better than the other. You will need to market regardless. Take into consideration the fees to host your products on each platform.
- IMPORTANT: If you are going to host your shop on your own site, purchase an SSL certification so you protect your buyer’s information.
- Erin’s Creative Abundance course
- The Skimm: bite-sized versions of the news
- Scott Stratten’s full Unmarketing keynote (and hilarious definition of “millennials”)
- CLICK HERE to add your photo to our community folder! We want YOU on our podcast website!!
Get found in search by improving your SEO game! Get started today!