It’s blog conference season!! If you’ve never experienced a blog conference, they are amazing opportunities to learn more about blogging, and connect with people you’ve only ever “met” online. Erin & I discuss what to know before you go!
- Know your capacity for groups of people. If you can’t handle large groups of people for several days, look for smaller conferences or retreats.
- You need to establish a budget, and take into consideration the cost of the conference ticket + travel expenses + hotel + food, and any other expenses like new business cards, clothing, etc.
- Add to your conference budget at least one dinner out with your friends.
- Know why you’re going: Networking time with friends, networking time with brands, or education. It’s impossible to do all of these things without exhausting yourself, or short-changing your experience.
- Pay attention to the structure of the conference. Some conferences have multiple sessions in the same time slot.
- Let’s talk business cards: blogger’s business cards are like the Pokemon trading cards at conferences. It’s up to you if you decided to bring them. As a speaker, I bring them. If I’m trying to connect with brands, I bring them. Otherwise, I don’t feel the need to bring them.
- Create a 4″ x 6″ media kit with photos of your best blog posts, your social media links, and your head shot.
- Make sure your head shot on your blog is current so people can recognize you when they meet you in person.
- Things to pack: notebook, pens/pencils, laptop, phone, and chargers. Don’t count on being able to get online.
- Etiquette: Be conscious of your speaker. Don’t stand up in the middle of the session unless it’s an emergency. Also, DO NOT TALK during a session. You disrupt the speaker & the other attendees.
- Finally, please go talk to people! Bring new people into your circle and make new friends.
- Take a little gift for your roommate. Something simple like hand sanitizer, lotion, notepads, pens, candy, etc.
- Pack carefully if you know there will be swag bags! You’ll get a ton of free stuff at the larger conferences, so pack accordingly so you can take it all home.
- Register for Blog Life University & use my name (Kirsten Thompson) as the promo code to get $50 off!
- Visit Home Grown Bloggers to learn more about the spring retreat in Atlanta
- How to Get Started with Networking Events – podcast with Lauren Caselli
- And, to see my sweet Daisy Mae, GO HERE. You’re welcome.
- Erin’s Show Notes for this episode
Get found in search by improving your SEO game! Get started today!