If you listened to the one about simplifying your blogging processes, I talked briefly about how we can get overwhelmed with all the tasks and pieces that go into creating a blog post, and lose focus on the blog post itself. So let’s talk about all those pieces. Now, let me be clear before we dive in – there are some elements of a blog post that you might include because you want to, or because they’re “pretty”. Those things are optional. Then there are elements of a blog post that you should include because they either make your content more engaging, or they help you grow.
THE ELEMENTS OF A BLOG POST
Ok. First, let’s talk about the elements you need to make your content engaging.
- Catchy headline
- CoSchedule’s headline analyzer
- Attention grabbing intro paragraph – the “hook”
- Pinnable vertical image – 735 pixels wide x height (1100+)
- Killer photos – at least 3-5 additional photos
- Clicks to tweet
- A question: Leave a comment below and tell me…
- Easy to use comment box
- Commentluv is great b/c other bloggers can comment, enter their blog URL, and the latest post populates
- Email signup form
Now let’s talk about the elements you need to grow. How can these things help you grow? Those 3 magical letters, my friend: SEO.
- Used in title, headings, throughout copy, image names, & alt text
- Minimum of 300 words
- Meta description with keywords – Yoast SEO plugin
- Anchor text (with keywords) linking to related content or back to main category page
- BONUS: video embedded in post
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- CoSchedule’s free headline analyzer
- Simply Pinterest plugin
- Click to Tweet site & plugin
- CommentLuv plugin
- Yoast SEO plugin (the free version is all you need)
Don't Leave Anything Out!
You'll also receive weekly educational emails & advanced notice of upcoming workshops, webinars, and courses.